Cabo Beaches



Cabo San Lucas Travel Tips





Telephone Calls

Customs Information
Banks and Currency Exchange Information






Health problems sometimes affect visitors to Mexico. Information on health precautions can be obtained from local health departments or private doctors. It is wise to review your health insurance policy before you travel. There are short-term health insurance policies designed specifically to cover travel.
Most hotels offer purified water, but it is always advised to drink bottled water. Be aware of ice cubes (sorry, this includes Margaritas) that may not have been made with purified water Vegetables and fruits should be peeled or washed in a purifying solution. A good rule to follow is if you can't peel it or cook it, do not eat it. Diarrhea may benefit from antimicrobial treatment which may be prescribed or purchased over the counter. Travelers should consult a physician, rather than attempt self-medication, if the diarrhea is severe or persists several days.

Safety Tips
In an emergency, call [91] (5) 250-0123, the 24-hour hotline of the Mexican Ministry of Tourism. They also have two toll free numbers: if calling within Mexico [91] 800-90-392 and from the U.S. 1-800-482-9832.

Airport Information
Los Cabos International Airport:
The airport is about seven miles (11km) north of San Jose del Cabo and about 30 miles (48km) from Cabo San Lucas. Round trip transportation is provided by some hotels, if not included in you vacation package, taxi vans are available for transportation of passengers from the airport to the hotels in both towns. Many of the hotels have sign-up sheets for guests who wish to share a taxi for the return trip to the airport.

U.S. Assistance in Mexico
Medical or Financial Problems
If you become seriously ill, U.S. consular officers can assist in finding a doctor and in notifying your family and friends about your condition. Consular officers can also help arrange the transfer of emergency funds to you if you become destitute as a result of robbery, accident, or other emergency.

A Guide to Entry and Exit Regulations


US Citizens are required to have a valid US passport.

Please visit the U.S. Department of State official Travel Initiative site for more Change in Entry/Departure Requirements information. Information on obtaining or renewing your passport can be accessed through the TIA Passport portal.

For more complete information on obtaining and renewing passports, including forms to renew by mail and expedited service options, see the U.S. Department of State Passport site.

Tourist Cards:
All U.S. citizens visiting Mexico for tourism or study for up to 180 days need a document, called a tourist card in English or FMT in Spanish, to enter and leave Mexico, The airlines will provide you with one prior to landing. Upon entering Mexico, retain and safeguard the pink copy of your tourist card so you may surrender it to Mexican immigration when you depart. You must leave Mexico before your tourist card expires or you are subject to a fine. A tourist card for less than 180 days may be revalidated in Mexico by the Mexican immigration service (Direccion General de Servicios Migratorios).

Traveling With Minors
A child under the age of 18 traveling with only one parent must have written, notarized consent from the other parent to travel, or must carry, if applicable, a decree of sole custody for the accompanying parent or a death certificate for the other parent. Children traveling alone or in someone else's custody must have notarized consent from both parents to travel, or if applicable, notarized consent from a single parent plus documentation that the parent is the only custodial parent.

What You May Bring Into Mexico
Customs Regulations:
Tourists should enter Mexico with only the items needed for their trip. Entering with large quantities of an item a tourist might not normally be expected to have, particularly expensive appliances, such as televisions, stereos, or other items, may lead to suspicion of smuggling and possible confiscation of the items and arrest of the individual.

The Mexican government permits tourists to exchange dollars for pesos at the fluctuating free market rate. There are no restrictions on the import or export of bank notes and none on the export of reasonable quantities of ordinary Mexican coins. However, gold or silver Mexican coins may not be exported.

Take travelers checks with you because personal U.S.checks are rarely accepted by Mexican hotels or banks. Major credit cards are accepted in many hotels, shops, and restaurants. An exchange office (casa de cambios) usually gives a better rate of exchange than do stores, hotels, or restaurants.

Banks and Currency Exchange Information:
The best rates of exchange for Mexican pesos can be found at banks, although the airport exchange desk is generally not a bad rate compared to the hotel rates; banks and airport exchange offices do not charge exchange fees. It is not a good idea to change money in any upmarket hotel here, as they typically do not offer competitive market rates. Street "cambios" or exchange booths offer slightly less favorable rates, but keep longer hours. You can pay in U.S. dollars most of the time, but your change will probably be in Mexican pesos, and at unfavorable rates!

In Cabo San Lucas:
Banca Serfin
Plaza Aramburo on Calle Lazaro Cardenas across from the Centro Comercial, corner Calle Zaragoza.
North side of Lazaro Cardenas s/n between Hidalgo and Guerrero.
Banco Union
South side of Lazaro Cardenas opposite Bancomer.

In San Jose del Cabo:
Calle Zaragoza at Calle Morelos.
Banca Serfin
Calle Zaragoza at Calle Degollado

Los Cabos offers a variety of items that can be purchaced. You'll find your best buys on Blankets, Silver & Ceramics. BARGIN! BARGIN! Most merchants will bargin with you. Don't be afraid to offer a lower amount than given to you or a discount on purchasing multiple items. It is better to do your shopping when the cruise ship is not in town, you'll get more bargining power. Visit our Shopping Site.

A quick note about Glazed Ceramics: Analysis of many ceramic pieces from Mexico has shown them to contain dangerous levels of lead. Unless you have proof of their safety, use glazed ceramics purchased in Mexico for decorative purposes only.

General Tourist Information
The best option is to buy local telephone company Ladatel's phonecard for $20 or $50. Call them at 1-800-6-87-97 for more information about calling the U.S. (tel. 95 + area code + number) or the rest of the world (tel. 98 + area code + number) and other parts of Mexico (91 + area code + number). You can also use your AT&T, MCI and Sprint codes at the standard International rates (be sure to check the cost based on your subscribed calling plan).

The city code for the Los Cabos area is 114. There is a charge for calling between Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo.

In Mexico, it is customary to tip 10 percent in restaurants, and you may also give a couple of dollars to any passing band whose playing is particularly pleasing. However, the American custom of tipping 15 to 20 percent is practiced at international resorts, including those in Los Cabos. Housemaids in hotels may be covered by an all-inclusive charge, but welcome US$2-$3 tips per night, and don't forget to hand over something small to the little boy who runs to clean your windshield or who fills your car up with gasoline for you. Mexicans always tell you that tipping is not expected; it may, however, be well deserved and they always thank you.

Returning to the United States:

You must present the pink copy of your tourist card at your point of departure from Mexico.

The U.S. Customs Service currently permits U.S. citizens returning from international travel to bring back $400 worth of merchandise, including 1 liter of alcohol, duty free. The next $1,000 worth of items brought back is subject to a duty of 10%. In addition to U.S. Customs regulations, be aware that some U.S. border states (most notably, Texas) have imposed state restrictions on liquor, wine, and beer imports from Mexico. If you are planning to bring back alcoholic beverages, inquire about these restrictions from the liquor control office of the state through which you plan to return.

Holidays Observed in Mexico

Banks, government offices and many businesses are closed on these days and hotels fill up quickly:

Jan 1: New Year's Day
Feb 5: Constitution Day
Mar 21: Birthday of Benito Juarez
March-April (varies): Holy Week Celebrations, Good Friday through Easter Sunday
May 1: Labor Day
May 5: Cinco de Mayo (Anniversary of Battle of Puebla, 1862)
May 10: Mother's Day
Sep 16: Independence Day
Oct 12: Dia de la Raza
Nov 2: President's State of the Nation Address
Nov 2: Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead)
Nov 20: Anniversary of the Mexican Revolution
Dec 25-Jan 2: Christmas Week celebrations

See our Special Events page.

Mexican Government Tourism Office Locations:

405 Park Ave., Suite 1401
New York, NY 10022
Telephone: 212-755-7261 or 421-6655.

1911 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
Washington, D.C. 20006
Telephone: 202-728-1750.

70 E. Lake St., Suite 1413
Chicago, IL 60601
Telephone: 312-565-2786.

10100 Santa Monica Blvd., Suite 224
Los Angeles, CA 90067
Telephone: 310-203-8191.

Cabo Travel brochures can be ordered by calling



   Cabo Links

For Information and Reservations 1-888-449-2226

How Can We Help You? Please fill out all fields below.